The following updates are from the Historic Landmark Commission’s Facebook Page. 

The Red Front Department Store Building – 1125 Belmont Avenue

“Tonight the Historic Landmarks Commission voted to recommend that the Charlotte City Council designate the Red Front Department Store Building a historic landmark. Designation would help save the building and help revitalize the neighborhood.”
– 13 February 2017, Historic Landmarks Commision.

The Red Front Department Store building as it stands today on Belmont Avenue and Pegram Street.

First opened for business in 1902, the Red Front Department Store is now one of the only remaining buildings of its kind in the Charlotte area. According to the HLC report on the property, “(i)t is representative of a type of commercial enterprise that one found in the early twentieth century streetcar suburbs of Charlotte. It is among the most significant early twentieth century suburban buildings of its type.”

In a 1902 ad in the Charlotte News, the Red Front boasted that they sold “everything from a postage stamp to a house and lot.” The business filled a particular niche in the community, delivering directly to homes in the new suburb. The building also served as a community gathering place for groups like the local Glee Club.

The Red Front Dep’t Store manager, Jessie Rudisill.

 

Louise Cotton Mill – 1101 Hawthorne Lane

“Lots of folks say Charlotte is tearing everything down. Not entirely. These photos show the major conversion of the Louise Cotton Mill in the Belmont neighborhood into living spaces. The mill, which opened in 1897 and closed in the 1950s, was part of Charlotte’s emergence as a major textile center. It is only one block from the Red Front Department Store Building on Belmont Ave. Exciting things are happening in Belmont.” – 10 February 2017, Historic Landmarks Commission

The Louise Cotton Mill  opened in 1897 and expanded in 1901. It is one of the only remaining textile mills left to serve as a visual reminder of the industry that propelled Charlotte’s development forward during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.

Displaying

Displaying

In 2013, the site was listed on the National Register of Historic Places due to “the use of slow-burning construction methods, brick construction, heavy-timber framing, large and plentiful windows and monitor roofs with clerestory windows in the original mill and its additions,” which “represent the best practices of textile mill design and technology at the time for dealing with fire resistance, structural strength, vibration, natural light, and ventilation.”