Below are the minutes from the Belmont Community Association meeting held on May 1, 2018
Conversation with Community Officers
- Paintball Concerns. There are two officers assigned to these cases, there are legal ramifications when targeting people. Call 911 to report anyone with paintball guns, equipment, etc.
- Homelessness. Men’s Shelter is closed for remodeling. If you see anyone setting up camp within the neighborhood, call so they can connect with local resources and get them resettled.
- Traffic Blocking Streets/Sidewalks. Call 911 to report
- Above and Beyond is a local non profit that helps children with after school care/activities. They are looking for volunteers. http://www.aboveandbeyondstudents.com
- Call 311 (Code Enforcement) for abandoned vehicles or when you believe someone is living in a vehicle on the street
- Overall, Belmont had good stats for April
- Larken Egleston reminded community members of the importance of voting. Recommended vote411.org to research candidates.
- Fund balance: $4,316.57, with $3,130 preserved for social senior and $122 for the garden.
- Expenses in April = $561.42:
- Open Streets supplies – $408.36
- Postage for Financial Literacy Workshop – $83.24
- Reimbursement due for a garden expense of $69.82
- Membership = 26 individuals & 5 businesses
- Dues for 2018 are $20 per person or $30 per business.
- 2018 Budget- Vote Requested Vicki Jones2018 Budget proposed by the treasurer. Vicki Jones motioned to accept and Teresa Reid seconded. All community members in favor. No opposition.
Centra Square update
- Delayed. Contact Curtis Bridges with any concerns
- Open Streets 704
- Positive feedback. Over 30,000 people were on the route. Community members concerned about street closures and selling of products in the street.
- Financial Literacy and Housing Summit
- Positive feedback. Around 30 community members were in attendance. Community members felt empowered and educated about their concerns. Would like to see another event. Will be sending out a recap page of all of the resources discussed at the event
May Social Events
- 5/20 Bike Ride Dawon Millwood
- Meeting at the Greenway entrance and Belmont at 1:00 pm and will be riding to Amelie’s and back. If you need a bike, they can be provided by Queen City Joyride. Email Dawon Millwood at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Belmont City Walks / Jane’s Walk – 5/24 Vicki Jones
- Social Senior – May 19 Lorna Allen
- Will be taking place at Recess from 11:00 am -1:00 pm. Food, games, and activities will be provided.
Land Use updates
- No updates. Community will vote for Harrison Tucker properties on June 5, 2018.
- Neighborhood Matching Grant Vicki Jones
- Up to $25,000 and will be submitting by September 1, 2017. Community provided feedback on what they would like to see the grant used for in the neighborhood.
Meeting adjourned at 7:12 pm